Don't Forget To Bookmark And Check Back For Updates!  (Click Photos To Enlarge)

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Tribute To Charles "Mask" Lewis...


I wrote this a while back and was saving it to put on the new website when it launched but its taking so long, I want to go ahead and post it....

On March 9th 2009, the MMA community lost one of its most outgoing, genuine, and memorable personalities. Charles “MASK” Lewis was an Ambassador for MMA and led the most famous crew in the sport, Tapout. I can’t remember being at an MMA show that he was not at. Not only was he at every show, but he was always smiling and always amped up with life.

His nickname for me was “Sergeant Swick” , because he thought I looked like a GI Joe, and he would say it each and every time he saw me. “SEEERRRRGGGEEEAAANNT SWIIIIIIIIIIIIICK!” would be heard from across the venue and when my eyes would find him, he would always be smiling… or sticking his tongue out… or roaring like a Lion…

Charles always made me feel welcome and included even though he knew I was a Sprawl sponsored fighter. I remember him giving me free shirts and caps even though he knew I was with Sprawl. He said he understood and that if I ever wanted to come over to the dark side to call him.

I never got around to going over to the dark side but I did talk to Charles on the phone numerous times which was as interesting as hanging out with him in person. He would yell into the phone with such enthusiasm no matter what the conversation was about. And he never, EVER, let me say goodbye. As the conversation started to dwindle down, you would just hear “OOOOOOOOUT!” and that was it. He was gone.

The last time I got to hang out with Charles was when we did the HDNet show “Inside MMA” together in Los Angeles in October of last year. It was the longest I probably have ever got to talk to him one on one in person. It’s hard to imagine that I will not see him at the shows anymore. He will be heavily missed…

You made it man, you really made it. Rest in peace buddy…